“MCLA's Zavatarro Athletic Complex”
This map was created for a technical paper written by Professor Mike Ganger, Ph.D. The final version will be printed in black and white, or grayscale, at 300 dots per inch (dpi), measuring four inches by four inches, as directed by his publisher's instructions posted on their Web site. This digital representation was created for the Web, weighing in at 82kb and displaying at 800 by 600 pixels per inch (ppi).
These are the general steps I used to create this map. Turnaround time was a few days.
- Create a working directory in ArcCatalog.
- Download the orthophoto, state boundary, roads, and contours from Mass GIS.
- Scan surveyed site plan for boundary information.
- Create projected layers.
- Digitize parcel boundary, lake, athletic complex, forest boundary, roads, and paved area in seperate layers.
- Adjust outline and fill of layers.
- Clip contours to extent of tax parcel.
- Open attribute table, add acreage field, calculate acreage.
- Create label using VBScript, adjust symbol property mask to halo text.
- Convert label to annotation, for relocation in map.
- Switch to layout view.
- Insert new data frame for locus map.
- Add state outline to locus map.
- Add parcel boundary to locus map.
- Insert title, north arrow, scale bar to map. Label roads using splined and regular text.
- Export to JPEG.
- Open JPEG in Photoshop.
- Create arrow in Illustrator, place in Photoshop.
- Save for print, four inches by four inches at 300 dpi.
- Save for Web, 600x800 resolution at 72 ppi.